Hitching a travel trailer to your vehicle can be nerve-wracking, especially when it comes to safety and stability on the road. Did you know that using sway bars can significantly improve handling and reduce lateral movement? This blog post is like a comprehensive guide designed specifically to help you choose the best sway bar for your travel trailer.
So, let’s dive in and ensure every journey with your trailer is smooth as silk!
- Sway bars are essential for travel trailers as they help stabilize and control lateral movement while on the road.
- There are two main types of sway bars for travel trailers: weight-distributing sway bars and friction sway bars.
- When choosing a sway bar, consider features like compatibility, weight capacity, durability, ease of installation, and warranty offered by the manufacturer.
- The top 5 sway bars for travel trailers include the CURT 17200 Trailer Anti-Sway Bar Control Kit, XtremepowerUS Heavy Duty Weight Distribution Equalizer Trailer Sway Control Towing Hitch Bar, Pro Series 83660 Value Friction Sway Control, Reese Integrated Sway Control Weight Distribution Kit, and Hellwig 7643 Rear Sway Bar.
Sway bars are an essential component for travel trailers, helping to stabilize and control lateral movement while on the road.
Sway bars are used on travel trailers to stop side-to-side motion. They help keep the trailer stable while moving down the road. These bars work by moving weight from one side of the trailer to the other.
When a big gust of wind or a large truck passes by, sway bars make sure your trailer does not tip over. The aim is to have a smooth and safe ride at all times!
Sway bars play a big part in your travel trailer’s ride. They help stop the trailer from moving from side to side. This keeps you safe when you drive fast or turn corners. The sway bar is one piece of metal that connects two parts of the suspension system on both sides of your trailer.
When you turn, it twists and pushes down on the inside wheel and lifts up on the outside wheel. This stops extra lean and helps keep all wheels level with the road. Without them, trailers can tilt too much to one side or rock back and forth.
This makes driving scary and hard. So, sway bars are a must for control!
Sway bars give travel trailers better balance. They cut down on side-to-side moves. These bars also move weight from one side of the trailer to the other. This stops the trailer from swaying and rocking while it’s moving.
A sway bar provides a safer drive for you and your family when going on trips in your travel trailer. It steadies your vehicle on the road, increasing control and comfort. Without a sway bar, high winds can cause dangerous conditions as they force your travel trailer to teeter back and forth.
The same can happen if large vehicles pass by at high speeds or if there are rough patches on the roadways. So, getting a good quality sway bar is very important for anyone owning a travel trailer.
There are two main types of sway bars for travel trailers: weight-distributing sway bars and friction sway bars.
Weight-distributing sway bars help with trailer balance. They make the weight spread out over the axles of your car and trailer. This means less sway when you drive. The CURT 17200 Trailer Anti-Sway Bar Control Kit is a good choice for this type of bar.
It levels loads and stops swaying. Other great picks are XtremepowerUS Heavy Duty, Reese Integrated Sway Control, Pro Series 83660 Value Friction Sway Control, and Hellwig 7643 Rear Sway Bar.
Friction sway bars are a type of sway control system for travel trailers. They work by using a friction pad to transfer weight from one side of the trailer to the other, helping to reduce swaying and improve stability.
It’s important to note that friction sway bars may not be as effective as weight-distributing sway bars in reducing swaying motion. One recommended option is the Pro Series 83660 Value Friction Sway Control. This sway bar offers easy installation and provides additional stability during towing.
Another option is the Hellwig 7643 Rear Sway Bar, which has a high weight capacity and can be easily installed on your trailer.
When choosing the best sway bar for your travel trailer, there are some key features to consider. First, make sure the sway bar is compatible with your trailer and hitch system. It should be able to handle the weight of your trailer and fit securely.
Next, look for a sway bar that is adjustable. This will allow you to fine-tune the amount of sway control needed based on the specific conditions of your trip.
Durability is also important. Choose a sway bar made from high-quality materials that can withstand rough road conditions and last for a long time.
Ease of installation should not be overlooked. Look for a sway bar that has a simple bolt-on or clamp-on design, so you can easily install it without any special tools or professional help.
Lastly, consider the warranty offered by the manufacturer. A lifetime warranty is always a good sign that they have confidence in their product’s durability and performance.
By considering these key features when choosing a sway bar for your travel trailer, you can ensure better stability and handling on your trips.
5 Best Sway Bars for Travel Trailers
In this section, we will discuss the top 5 sway bars for travel trailers. Discover which sway bar is best suited for your trailer and how it can improve stability and handling on the road.
Read more to find the perfect sway bar for your travel adventures.
The CURT 17200 Trailer Anti-Sway Bar Control Kit is a highly-rated sway bar for travel trailers. It is versatile and can be used on most A-frame trailers. This sway bar is known for its durability and reliability, making it a top choice for many RV owners.
The CURT 17200 Trailer Anti-Sway Bar Control Kit offers high adjustability and compatibility with various trailer types. If you’re looking for a reliable and effective way to prevent swaying while towing your travel trailer, the CURT 17200 Trailer Anti-Sway Bar Control Kit is definitely worth considering.
The CURT 17200 Trailer Anti-Sway Bar Control Kit has the following features:
- Highly adjustable sway bar that can be used in various towing conditions
- Built-in sway control and weight distribution for a smoother towing experience
- Helps prevent trailer swaying, improving stability and control on the road
- Compatible with a wide variety of weight distribution hitches and A-frame trailers
- Made with durable materials and has a corrosion-resistant finish
- Manufactured by CURT, a reputable brand known for its quality towing products
- The CURT 17200 Trailer Anti-Sway Bar Control Kit has many advantages that make it a great choice for travel trailers:
- Highly adjustable and compatible with various trailers.
- Easy to set up and includes everything needed for installation.
- Has a high weight capacity, suitable for larger travel trailers.
- Durable and made with quality materials.
- Helps improve stability and handling by reducing lateral movement.
- However, there are also some downsides to consider:
- May be more expensive compared to other sway bars on the market.
- Requires proper setup and adjustment to ensure optimal performance.
The XtremepowerUS Heavy Duty Weight Distribution Equalizer Trailer Sway Control Towing Hitch Bar is a high-quality and reliable option for travel trailers. It has a maximum capacity of 10,000 lb gross vehicle weight and 1,000 lb max tongue weight, making it suitable for heavy loads.
The hitch bar is designed for easy installation and provides precise weight distribution, ensuring a comfortable ride. It fits standard 2-inch trailer hitch receivers with its 2-inch shank.
This hitch bar is also included in the top 5 sway bars for travel trailers, highlighting its quality and performance. With this hitch bar, you can enjoy towing stability and reduced trailer sway, promoting safety on the road.
The XtremepowerUS Heavy Duty Weight Distribution Equalizer Trailer Sway Control Towing Hitch Bar has a weight capacity of 1,000 lbs and a maximum weight capacity system of 10,000 lbs. It is made of durable steel and comes with pre-installed brackets and hardware for easy installation.
The XtremepowerUS Heavy Duty Weight Distribution Equalizer Trailer Sway Control Towing Hitch Bar has several pros and cons that you should consider before purchasing:
- Maximum weight capacity system of 10,000 lbs, making it suitable for larger trailers.
- Made of durable steel, it ensures long-lasting performance.
- Comes with pre-installed brackets and hardware for easy installation, saving you time and effort.
- Provides improved stability and handling for travel trailers, reducing the risk of swaying and rocking.
- May not be suitable for smaller trailers with lighter weight capacities.
- Installation may require additional tools or professional assistance if you are not familiar with trailer hitch systems.
The Pro Series 83660 Value Friction Sway Control is a budget-friendly option for reducing swaying in travel trailers. It uses friction to resist pivotal movement and reduce swaying, making it an effective choice for RV owners.
This sway control system features a friction pad that transfers weight from one side of the trailer to the other, providing stability and improved handling. The Pro Series 83660 is compatible with various weight distribution hitches and can be easily installed on most A-frame trailers.
Its affordability and effectiveness have made it one of the top choices among RV enthusiasts.
The Pro Series 83660 is a friction sway control that helps reduce swaying in travel trailers. Here are its key features:
- Friction-based system: Uses friction to resist pivotal movement and minimize trailer swaying.
- Dual-sway control: Can be used on both the left and right side of the trailer for enhanced stability.
- Compatibility: Compatible with a wide range of travel trailers and tow vehicles, making it versatile and convenient.
- Easy installation: Designed for easy installation, saving time and effort for trailer owners.
- Improved stability and handling: Provides improved stability and handling during towing, ensuring a safer and smoother ride.
- Easy to install and adjust, making it convenient for trailer owners.
- Compatible with a wide range of weight distribution hitches, providing versatility.
- Durable construction ensures long-lasting performance, offering value for money.
- Effectively reduces swaying in travel trailers, improving stability and safety.
- Offers an affordable solution for improving the stability of travel trailers, suitable for budget-conscious buyers.
- May not be as effective in reducing sway compared to other higher-end sway bars.
- Some users may find the adjustment process slightly challenging initially.
- The overall design may not be as aesthetically appealing as other sway bar options.
The Hellwig 7643 Rear Sway Bar is one of the top sway bars for travel trailers. It has a weight capacity of 26 lbs, which helps to reduce swaying and rocking while you’re towing your trailer.
Installing this sway bar is easy because it has a bolt-on design. Plus, it comes with high-tech polyurethane bushings that provide durability and stability. If you’re looking for a reliable sway bar that can improve the handling of your travel trailer, consider the Hellwig 7643 Rear Sway Bar.
This product has been mentioned in an article on CamperRules.com, making it a trustworthy option for trailer owners.
The Hellwig 7643 Rear Sway Bar is a top-rated option for improving the handling of travel trailers. Here are its key features:
- High-quality materials: The sway bar is made from durable 4140 chrome moly spring steel, ensuring long-lasting performance.
- Easy installation: It features a bolt-on design, making it easy to install on your travel trailer without any drilling required.
- Enhanced stability: The sway bar helps reduce swaying and rocking motion, providing better stability when towing your trailer.
- Compatibility: It is designed to fit a wide variety of travel trailers, making it a versatile option for different types and load sizes.
- Powder coat finish: The sway bar has a powder coat finish for added protection against rust and corrosion, ensuring its durability even in harsh weather conditions.
- Lifetime warranty: Hellwig offers a lifetime warranty on the 7643 Rear Sway Bar, giving you peace of mind knowing that you’re covered in case of any manufacturing defects or issues.
The Hellwig 7643 Rear Sway Bar has several pros and cons to consider:
- Helps improve the stability and handling of the travel trailer
- Reduces sway and rocking motions while towing
- Easy to install with basic tools and hardware included
- Made with high-quality materials for durability
- No-drill, clamp-on design for hassle-free installation
- Powder coat finish for corrosion resistance
- May not fit all trailer types or load sizes, so compatibility should be verified before purchase
- Some users have reported a slight increase in noise from the trailer’s suspension system after installation
The Reese Integrated Sway Control Weight Distribution Kit is a top choice for improving stability and handling in travel trailers. With a weight capacity of 12,000 lbs, this kit uses air shocks to absorb road shock and reduce swaying.
It is recommended alongside other top-rated sway bars such as the CURT 17200 Trailer Anti-Sway Bar Control Kit, XtremepowerUS Heavy Duty Weight Distribution Equalizer Trailer Sway Control Towing Hitch Bar, Pro Series 83660 Value Friction Sway Control, Hellwig 7643 Rear Sway Bar, Equal-i-zer Hitch Sway Control, Reese Strait-Line Hitch Sway Control, and Fastway e2 Weight Distributing Hitch Sway Control.
The Reese Integrated kit stands out for its high weight capacity and use of air shocks to provide superior stability on the road.
Reese Integrated offers sway-control weight distribution kits for travel trailers. These kits are designed to improve stability and reduce swaying while towing a trailer. The Reese Integrated sway control kits have a weight capacity of 12,000 lbs. They use air shocks to absorb road shock and reduce swaying. These sway control kits are highly adjustable, allowing for customized weight distribution and sway control. They are compatible with a wide range of tow vehicles and trailers.
The Reese Integrated Sway Control Weight Distribution Kit has its own set of advantages and disadvantages.
- It has a weight capacity of 12,000 lbs, making it suitable for heavy trailers.
- The use of air shocks helps absorb road shock and reduce swaying, providing a smoother towing experience.
- The kit features thick torsion bars that effectively prevent trailer swaying.
- It has a long and heavy shank, offering durability and stability during towing.
- Due to its heavy-duty design, the Reese Integrated Sway Control Weight Distribution Kit may be more expensive compared to other sway control options.
- The installation process might be more complex compared to simpler sway bar systems. It may require some technical expertise or professional assistance.
Installing a sway bar on a travel trailer is an important step to improve stability and reduce swaying. Here are the steps to install a sway bar:
- Start by positioning the trailer on a level surface and engaging the parking brake.
- Measure and mark the appropriate mounting location on both sides of the trailer frame, ensuring that it is aligned with the tow vehicle’s hitch ball.
- Attach the sway control ball mount to the marked location on the trailer frame using suitable mounting hardware. Make sure it is securely fastened.
- Install the sway control unit onto the sway control ball mount, aligning it with the hitch ball.
- Connect one end of the sway control unit to the sway control ball mount using a suitable attachment method, such as chains or brackets.
- Connect the other end of the sway control unit to an appropriate anchor point on the tow vehicle, ensuring that there is enough tension in the system without overstretching it.
- Adjust the tension in the sway control unit according to your specific towing needs. This can usually be done by tightening or loosening adjustment nuts or bolts provided with the kit.
- Once you have achieved proper tension, check all connections and ensure that they are secure.
- Test your setup by towing your travel trailer and observing its stability and handling. Make any necessary adjustments to achieve optimal performance.
In conclusion, choosing the best sway bar for your travel trailer is essential for improving stability and reducing swaying. Whether you opt for a weight-distributing sway bar or a friction sway bar, make sure to consider features like compatibility, weight capacity, durability, and ease of installation.
The CURT 17200 Trailer Anti-Sway Bar Control Kit, XtremepowerUS Heavy Duty Weight Distribution Equalizer Trailer Sway Control Towing Hitch Bar, Reese Integrated Sway Control Weight Distribution Kit, Pro Series 83660 Value Friction Sway Control, and Hellwig 7643 Rear Sway Bar are all excellent options to enhance the stability and safety of your travel trailer.
Weight distribution refers to the equal distribution of weight between the tow vehicle and trailer. It ensures that both the vehicle and trailer have a balanced weight, which helps improve stability and handling during towing.
Sway control, on the other hand, focuses on reducing trailer sway or lateral movement while towing. It specifically addresses the issue of swaying or rocking motions that can occur when encountering strong winds or passing trucks.
Weight distribution and sway control work together to prevent dangerous trailer sway, making them both important for safe towing.
A weight distribution hitch can reduce sway when towing a trailer. It helps to distribute the weight of the trailer evenly between the front and rear axles of the tow vehicle. This improves steering and braking control, making it less likely for the trailer to sway from side to side.
A weight distribution hitch prevents excessive weight on one end of the vehicle and keeps it balanced. It also reduces the risk of lane wandering caused by wind or passing vehicles.
It also helps to control sway on downhill grades, providing a safer towing experience overall.
Yes, you can back up with a weight distribution hitch. Unlike some add-on sway control bars that may pose issues when backing up, a weight distribution hitch allows for easy backing up without having to undo anything.
It is important to note that not all hitches are designed the same, so it’s essential to follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer for proper installation and usage. Additionally, it’s crucial to consider the weight of your trailer and whether a weight distribution hitch is recommended or required by your vehicle manufacturer.
Always consult your owner’s manual for specific requirements before towing any trailer.